Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Independence Day

I'm trying to stay motivated and get my blog updated. We've had such a fun summer, I just wanted to share some of our memories. We did our traditional ride in the 4th of July parade with my dad, who the girls call Papaw. It was great this year! Last year, we were the very last entry and we had to wait forever (in the heat, of course)before it was our turn, and with Ella who was then approaching 2, not at all fun. This year, we were close to the beginning. I tend to forget from year to year that I am the one who ends up doing all the smiling and waving. Dad of course is driving and he helps some, but largely, the girls just sit there and stare at the people. I feel like I need some big cheesy prom dress and tiera to go along with my princess wave. Really, I have a good time, and the girls had a blast. We did give them some flags to wave and that helped a little bit. Eventually, Ella even handed me her flag and said "Hold this momma, so I can wave!"

Ella also gained some independence the 4th of July weekend. I'm not sure how it happened as I don't recall picking this particular week, but she entered the land of no diapers! Yeah! I swore I would wait until she could climb on the potty herself, wipe, flush and wash hands all by herself before I would attempt it. Then I just got so aggravated that her diapers were so absorbent that she didn't even realize she was wet until she was absolutely soaked and then she thought she had done something other than pee. With Kaeley, I tried all the "thick" training panties, but with Ella, I bribed her and went straight to the thin Dora panties. I just put them on her earlier in the week to increase awareness of pee. I wanted her to start telling me that she had to go. I fully intended to diaper her the very next day. Well, first thing that next morning, she told me she had to go potty. I couldn't believe it. Now, I do have to take her to the potty, but she tells me every time there's pee and I do have to occasionally encourage her to do the other, but she's been doing better with that too. So easy compared to Kaeley. I have absolutely no regrets about waiting until she was 33 months to potty train! Everyone told me how easy girls were and how easy life would be once Kaeley was potty trained. Such the contrary! It was a nightmare and I dreaded the task with Ella. I don't even worry with Ella like I did Kaeley. Kaeley I followed around for weeks, months, probably even close to a year. Ella... I did keep a close eye on the first few days, there were a few messes and accidents along the way. No more babies at this house, I officially have a big girl now! Two of them! Where does the time go?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Owen decided he wanted to wear big boy undies yesterday! I was like, uh, are you sure? So, he wore them all afternoon. He still hasn't peed in the potty at all but he's sat and tried about 10 times. This is a big change because before I could never get him near the potty unless he was fully clothed! So, keep your fingers crossed for us and hopefully we'll have a success story soon too!