
Perhaps I was deprived as a kid (yeah right!) but I have no recollection of ever making a gingerbread house. I've never attempted it as an adult...looked like a labor of love. This year I noticed these pre-baked, ready to assemble, Gingerbread House Kits in the stores made by Wilton. Well, that's a name I'm familiar with...all of my cake decorating stuff is Wilton. So I thought, how hard could it be? Well, a little harder than I thought. More time consuming than anything. Assembling 4 walls then letting them dry for an hour. Add the roof, a couple more hours - and then what the kids are waiting for - the candy! If they haven't eaten it all in the meantime. And the hardest part for me was resisting the urge to break out the cake decorating kit and tear into all my icing tips and really get creative! Remembering, this was a fun little project to entertain the girls, I took a chill pill and let them decorate! I assembled the house and put the icing on as per Kaeley's instructions on where to put the icing. The girls really had a blast decorating it! It was so hard for them to put the candy on the house and not in their mouths! It was almost dinner time and the no candy before dinner rule was in effect! Ella would not stop until all the candy was on the house. I kept telling her it was finished, and she said "no, not yet." Then out of the blue, she said "I'm almost finished with my Christmas shopping." That caught me off guard - I guess "finishing" the gingerbread house reminded her of "finishing" her Christmas shopping. I told her I didn't realize she had started her shopping! They were quite pleased with themselves and their house. Now I've heard from a couple of people that you can use hot glue to assemble the house - it goes a lot easier and faster. However, not edible. Kaeley, especially, wanted to be able to eat the house when it was finished. Seems like a lot of work to me to tear it apart... but there again... the temptation of something so yummy should be edible! So, my tip of the day, if you want an edible house - use icing - make it thick (as the box says toothpaste consistency) and use a lot. Ours "was" pretty sturdy. Notice the past tense... 3 little elves tore the roof off today while I was out shopping and started yumming it up!





3 comments:
It looks so good! You really put mine to shame! I am nowhere near talented in the "gingerbread" field! I love the Christmas picture of the girls at the top of your blog. Did you take it?
Can't blame the girls for eating it. It looked really yummy! The finishing her Christmas shopping is cute. Love it when random things just pop out of Lexy's little brain.
No, I did not take that picture. It is at my house. But I, like you, paid a photographer! Jennifer Farmer at http://www.jfarmerphoto.com/ She does on-site and outdoor photos. I do not think she has a studio. Very reasonable and I like that I can buy a cd of the pictures.
Post a Comment