Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ella's 1st Day of Preschool

We've been talking about it for awhile now - going back to school, and Ella's been a-ok with it as long as it's "later". Last Thursday morning when Ella first woke up, I said "are you ready to go play with Anna today?" She immediately thought "school" since I've been telling her how great it will be to have Anna in her class this year. She said, "no, I don't want to go to school today." That was a catch 22... because I was taking her to the preschool, but there was no school. I had a PTA meeting and Jessica was able to watch her for me, but she was working at the preschool getting her classroom ready. So really it was just going to be a big play date. As soon as I turned onto Smith Road and signaled to turn in the preschool parking lot, Ella said, "No mom, I don't want you to turn." It all worked out fine and she had fun playing once she realized I wasn't trying to trick her. Well, today was the real first day of school and I had her convinced yesterday that she was going today. She still said "later" and I said "later" is here! She was ok with it. Even when she woke up this morning and Papaw was here ... I told her to tell him where she was going today and she excitedly said "I'm going to school, and here's my backpack with a kitty on it!" Papaw was here making my yard look pretty so my neighbors will continue to let me live in this subdivision! He had brought the girls 2 American Girl Dolls and we didn't want Ella to find them before school, but she did! I thought oh no, Papaw and baby dolls - she'll never want to go to school! But she did! It was a little hard to get pictures because she just wanted the baby doll, but we got a couple. When we turned into the parking lot today the only thing she said is "I don't want new teachers." When we walked in the classroom, other kids were being dropped off and it was a bit crazy and for a moment she shed a couple of tears. As soon as it settled down and we were able to meet the teachers and get settled, everything was fine. Anna was there to greet her with lots of hugs and it was just a perfect day! She knows several of the kids in her class from last year so that really helps a lot. When I picked her up today - all the teachers that knew her from last year (including Jessica) were amazed at how well she did. She was happy! talkative! interactive! And for the first time had fun on the playground - now that she's graduated to the "big kid" playground! And did I mention she even ate some of her lunch? It's hard to believe she went practically all of last school year and most days she didn't even take a single bite! Wow, she's come so far - and I am SO PROUD! What a big girl I have! She reminds me of that daily! She tells me she's growing bigger and bigger and one day her teeth will fall out like Kaeley's! She gets so upset when Kaeley tells her she's not big!




1 comment:

Laura said...

Ella really is growing up... so hard to believe! Just wait for the day she tells you not to kiss/hug/ or say "I love you" when you take her to 1st day of school in 6th grade... then who will be shedding tears? Graham was kind enough to lay that on me and I agreed, but then I forgot because it was such a habit for me and I shouted "I love you" as he was walking away... was I ever in trouble! Our babies will always be our babies... at least that is true for me with 24 and 19 year olds... maybe next year will be different!
Love you guys!